Saturday 28 September 2013

Grey's Anatomy Season 10 - Premier Review

I’m going to be blunt. I did not enjoy the season 10 premier of Grey’s Anatomy. I feel like there was a lot of overacting and dangerously high levels of cheese. Everything felt a little forced and very predictable. As much as I love this show, I’m not confident that the series is progressing in the way that it should. I won’t say that I hated the episode, but there were so many things that could have been done better. I sincerely hope that the rest of the series gets better because I really don’t want to see one of my favourite series feel like it has been on too long.

If nothing else, this is one of the most drama filled season premiers in the show’s history. It deals with the aftermath of the storm and we get to see how the Doctors of Grey Sloan recover from it. However, they still have to deal with further problems that the storm has caused, the most pressing of which being the electrocution of both Dr. Webber and Dr. Brooks. This leads me to my first problem: The overacting.

One particular scene sticks out in my mind, it’s a scene where Bailey is asked to reassure Christina while she is treating Webber, and both Chandra Wilson (Miranda Bailey) and Sandra Oh (Christina Yang) were being way too over dramatic for me to take them seriously.

This wasn’t my biggest issue with the episode though. One of my favourite things about the last nine seasons of Grey’s was the soundtrack. It was understated and the music always fit the mood. Unfortunately, it would seem that they have changed the music, and not for the better. Instead of the classic MerDer theme we’re all used to hearing during a tense moment, we get more upbeat music that really breaks the mood.

I really enjoyed some elements of the episode though. The first being the way they dealt with the Calzona break up. I love the way that Sara Ramirez and Jessica Capshaw act together, even when they are at odds with each other. Some of my favourite Calzona scenes are when they are fighting, and last season was a gold mine of that. Season 10 seams to promise more heart wrenching fight scenes between the two.

I also loved the way they dealt with Heather’s death and how that brought the interns together. Despite my initial opinion of the new interns, I really think they fit in well with the rest of the cast and I think the show would be a lot less interesting without them. Especially Camilla Luddington (Jo Wilson) as I think that her character is just what was needed in order to fully develop Alex’s character. I have very high hopes for those two characters this season and I hope that Shonda explores their relationship thoroughly in season 10.

The premier for season 10 of Grey’s Anatomy wasn’t brilliant. But, Shonda and the rest of the Grey’s team always pull it together in the end and I expect it will be no different this time around.


6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment